Saturday, November 20, 2010

Review: Buried

Considering that Ryan Reynolds is this year's People Magazine's Sexiest Man Alive you would think that spending two hours watching him and only him would cause any red blooded woman to sit back and swoon.

You would think that.

Sadly, I think I'd rather sit and stare and the People Magazine cover for two hours instead of watching this movie.

Reynold's plays a private contractor in Iraq. His convoy of kitchen utensils gets attacked and the next thing he knows he wakes up in a box, buried alive. He has a zippo, a flask, his anti-anxiety meds (what?) and a cell phone.

That's all you know too. There are no flash backs.. no other actor's ( other then voices ).. no third person view.

I guess the intention was to have the audience in the dark as much as Reynold's character was.. but that just made it harder to form any kind of bond with the character. Did he take this job because his house was about to be forclosed and his wife was pregnant with his sixth child? Dunno. Did he need the money to help his alcoholic father pay for rehab? Dunno.

All you know is that he's in a box.

The cell phone is the supporting actor in this movie. The kidnappers use it to demand 5 million dollars.. then 1 million ( would you take the price of a movie ticket? ) .. and Reynolds uses it to first call 911 (really?) and then the company he worked for (seriously?) and then finally, the FBI and State Department.


Now, I can't say what my demeanor or thought process would be if I was working for a private contractor in Iraq and woke up buried alive in a box with a cell phone but something tells me it wouldn't be what his was. 911? Really?

Seriously, there were SO MANY things this dude could have done that would have helped the people trying to help him.

I'm not going to tell you whether he gets out of the box or not .. if I spent two hours waiting for this movie to make any sense then the least I can do is give you the option to do the same .. and maybe, give you the opportunity to offer your take on it.

Maybe I was just having a bad night.. but I don't think so.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Back to Top