Thursday, December 23, 2010

Good Eats: Saltine Toffee Cookies

You are going to HATE me.

No.

Really.

You are.

No question.

The other day I was over at my mom's. She had been to an Cookie Exchange with my aunt and came away with a sandwich baggy full of these creamy, caramel-ly, squares of mmm mmm goodness!

Now, I'm not a chocolate eater. I'm a caramel eater, no doubt.. but chocolate ain't really my gig but these were too awesome to not have in my possession. When I got home at around 10-ish, I told Tim that he absolutely, positively HAD TO EAT ONE RIGHT NOW.

Big mistake.

He killed the baggy in about 7 minutes. The whole baggy. Leaving none for me. I soooo didn't have any sympathy when he spend the rest of the night with his head in the toilet.

Anyway .. here's the recipe. It's really easy to make.

Ingredients
4 oz saltine crackers
1 cup butter
1 cup dark brown sugar
2 cups semi sweet chocolate chips
3/4 chopped nuts

Directions
Preheat oven to 400
Line cookie sheet with saltine crackers in a single layer
In a sauce pan, combine the sugar and the butter. Bring to a boil and boil for 3 minutes.
Immediately pour over saltines and spread it over crackers completely
Bake at 400 degrees for 5 to 6 minutes
Remove from oven and sprinkle chocolate chips over the top
Let sit for 5 minutes
Spread melted chocolate and top with chopped nuts
Cool completely and break into pieces

THAT'S IT!!! Can you STAND it?? Who's going to make these more then just at Christmas time?? And the best is, you can get as creative as you want to get with the toppings... how about mint chocolate?? Hmmm? Or crushed peppermint sticks?? Hmmmmmm???  Yeaaaa... I thought so!!

If you're a little uncomfortable with making your own caramel, you can always just melt the already made ones.. just a thought.

So yea.. give these a bake and let me know how you like them!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Back to Top