Friday, October 29, 2010

Recap: Project Runway S8:14 (aka Finale Part 2)

I'll cut you, bitches
Ugh.

I think I'm still throwing up in my mouth after watching part 2 of Project Runway's Season Finale.

As you can probably guess, Gretchen won. Mondo lost and poor Andy never really had a chance.

The guest judge was Jessica Simpson and um.. excuse me but.. like.. doesn't she ALWAYS pop up on WORST dress lists? I mean WFT! What the hell was she doing there except maybe nailing the last nail in Mondo's coffin because she wanted him to take the top honors.

At any rate .. the show opens with a mini-reunion of all the designers. The segment was useless. I mean, at least on Survivor, everyone gets a chance to be acknowledged. Not so much here. I've forgotten who half the designers were and that did nothing to make me remember them.

There was the whole "road to the end" featuring the work of the three finalists and then some bantering about how Gretchen comes off like a bitch and how she felt that strong, confident woman are always thought of that way (there's that vomit in the mouth again!) and  half the designers thought it was how she represented because of the show and the other half was like, Nope.. she's a bitch.

Thankfully the segment didn't last that long.

The designers go back to the workshop to do their finishing touches.. Tim Gunn arrives and is worried about one of Andy's pieces looking like hair growing out of a vagina.. worried about Mondo and his bubble dress.. not so worried about Gretchen because he feels she got her shit together enough to ".. make it work!"

Three of Mondo's models didn't show up for their fittings so he's spazzing a little but there really isn't time to spaz because the show goes on in a few hours and THIS. IS. IT.

Poor Mondo, though. It was obvious that he was overwhelmed. Most of the time he had the "deer in head light" look.

Andy had made a last second pair of pants that it seemed half of the crew was working on and that ultimately, he scrapped.

Guess Tim was right about Gretchen because she seems as cool as the cucumber that's stuck up her bum.

Ok. So that was uncalled for. Sorta.

Andy's line showed first .. and I honestly liked it. I'd buy every piece if I was a sample size!! His colors were centered around a silvery grey and a beautiful shade of green. He opted to still use the head pieces .. which I was glad for because I personally thought they were awesome even if the judges didn't. The only thing he didn't have were dresses that were longer then thigh length and a gown or two. But still.. I liked it. And while the judges had a few good things to say about Andy and his line, we weren't on the same page and they cut him quickly.

Gretchen showed next and why she thought that wearing a damn bathing suit with a sheer skirt would be something ANYBODY wanted to see is beyond me but maybe it's just because I don't like her. She did listen to the judges though and her line was transformed into something more sleek and sophisticated because of the styling and accessories. I still don't like her clothes but even I could see that the collection LOOKED different and felt different. Both Michael Kors and Nina Garcia were so damn GAGA over it that you would think it was the first time both of them orgasmed over a women. They both felt she had her pulse on what's NOW and were fashion is heading.

I think they both smoked a little too much out of the Hooka.

Mondo's collection was a little bit of a disappointment for me.. there were two pieces that I really didn't understand ( an over-sized t-shirt with a Mexcian skull beaded on it and a tunic dress in black, aqua and pink ) but those are the pieces the judges all mutually applauded. Go figure. His collection was very Mondo but I think Nina and Michael were a little peeved that he didn't listen to their suggestions last week and either omit the bubble dress or alter it to make it less "custom-y". In his defense, it's Mondo's call  and not everybody is going to like everything. He went with his gut and it may have cost him the title.

At deliberation, Michael and Nina were Team Gretchen while Heidi and Jessica were Totally Team Mondo, It was funny to see them literally arguing and it was good to see Heidi attempting to hold her ground and calling them out for praising Mondo the whole season for what he designed and then condemning the designs at Fashion Week. I thought Nina was going to blow an extension or two!

In the end, I guess Heidi caved because WE KNOW WHO won but in thinking about it while I was writing this post, I actually think Mondo and Andy got the better deal. The pressure in on Gretchen now. Whether it's from other's or herself. She's the winner and she needs to produce. Andy and Mondo have had the exposure but can continue their career on their own terms.

Maybe the grass isn't always greener,

3 comments:

  1. I couldn't have said it better myself.
    Gretchen and her closing are gross. Ok, less mean/catty... they are not my cup of tea.
    Mondo rocks. Mondo rules! I would buy his clothing. I like him as a person, as a designer. The whole shebang.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't watch it, but it sucks to hear Gretchen won. She was too full of herself all season and always ready to critique every one but herself!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Jean: I wish there was a Mini-Mondo! I'd carry him along in my pocket for styling tips!

    @Anon: You're right about Gretchen.. loved her mental temper tantrums when the judges told her her stuff sucked!

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top