Monday, March 7, 2011

Review: The Adjustment Bureau

After watching Matt Damon in The Hereafter and HATING it ( see that review HERE ) .. I was a little gun shy about spending a few hours with him again.

But I absolutely ADORE Emily Blunt so yknow.. I figured I'd give it a whirl.

I'm glad I did. I liked the movie a lot more then I thought I was going to but think the writer(s) didn't do their concept any justice. They could have really, really run with it and made both the characters and the plot a little richer.. given them more dimension ..

At any rate, the movie centers around David Norris (Matt Damon) .. a sort of wonder kid in the political field... who's running for office when news breaks of a scandalous picture taken at his college reunion.

His ratings plummet and he loses the election. In the men's room practicing his concession speech, he finds Elise (Emily Blunt), hiding from security for crashing a wedding. .. she's ballsy.. brazen.. and unlike any women he's ever met before.

There's a connection but Elise skips away and out of his life. Or so he thinks.

This is essentially a story of Fate and who exactly our destiny. Do we or is there a conglomerate of fedora wearing men making sure that we do what we're suppose to do?

It's an interesting premise and one that ALMOST explored the spider webs of our choices in life. If David insists on being with Elise, he will not become President and she will not become a world famous dancer. Considering the more important consequences of his actions, whether or not Elise dances kind of pales in comparison.

Guess there's only so much you can focus on in a few hours, huh?

Anthony Mackie, John Slattery and Terrance Stamp are the fedora wearing Fate Sealers (my title, not the movie's) who work for The Adjustment Bureau making sure that each character stays on the path they laid out for them and makes the appropriate "adjustments" to ensure that it happens.

I enjoyed the movie.. wouldn't say I absolutely LOVED IT!!!!! .. but worth the time.

Give it a go and let me know what you think ..

No comments:

Post a Comment

Back to Top